This Burnaby home renovation project grew out of our client’s love of British pubs. He had owned and worked in several pubs as a young man. It’s a story for those who fantasize about creating a perfect Man-Cave space in their home.
With help of the My House Design/Build team, an outdated and under-used attached garage was transformed into an English-style bar, complete with powder room, small office, and proper serving peninsula.
Photos in this gallery show the improvements done to the yard and patio area of this home near Deer Lake, Burnaby. Photos also show the “Ale House” transformation of the garage. It was this garage renovation earned a spot as finalist in the 2017 CHBA BC Georgie Awards for best residential renovation under $100,000.
More Space for Friends
The segmented space now allows for flexible groupings. There’s comfortable seating for four at the bar, cozy, intimate seating in front of dual-sided fireplace and a large open space that accommodates entertaining 20-30 people at a time.
Pub-Touches Make the Difference
Elements of this project that contributed to the English-style pub feel included:
- Deep chocolate maple cabinetry, rosettes and valences give pub feel to the bar.
- Maple wainscoting, memorabilia plate rack and stained glass wall sconces contribute to pub atmosphere
- Installation of keg-fridge (with custom taps) provides access to cold beverages. The My House team had to customize the quartz countertop to allow keg tubes could run through.
- Efficient bar storage easily holds liquor, glassware
- Raised cabinet-height above peninsula grants view to bar TV
- Wood-look vinyl plank flooring over existing concrete provides a warmer look and feel, and is easy to clean
- Bristol-brick fireplace with maple wood mantle gives a perfect, rustic pub-look
- The client’s treasured antique glass was incorporated into powder room door
- Nu-heat flooring in the powder room, covered with matching tiles from tiled wall wainscoting, keeps visitor’s feet cozy while carrying a consistent look across several rooms.
Are you wanting to transform outdated or wasted space in your home with a home renovation Burnaby or Vancouver or elsewhere? The My House Design/Build team serves the entire Lower Mainland. Contact us for a complimentary consultation today >>